Chancer's Canterbury Tales Retold And Illustrated by Marcia Williams - Marcia Williams, Geoffrey Chaucer

**Review for Marcia Williams picture book version of The Canterbury Tales.

First, let me say that this is worth reading simply for the delight of seeing The Miller's Tale in comic strip format. My daughter can't get enough of it and has probably re-read it no less than twenty times.

Second, I am kind of surprised that I loved this as much as I did. I have kind of a funny relationship with Marcia Williams. I fell very deeply in love with her version of Joseph and His Magnificent Coat of Many Colors. It was so incredibly, ridiculously hysterical (and such a nice break from weeks of dreary Old Testament study). So of course, I had to have more and, sadly, I found I was a little underwhelmed by some of her other work and kind of slowed down on my obsession with checking out everything she'd touched.

In truth I think much of my love for this has to do with my daughter's reaction. We had just finished Barbara Cohen's version of the tales and I was feeling a little discouraged by my daughter's lack of enthusiasm. This book completely saved the day! We both particularly love that the little word bubbles include goofy faux Middle English dialogue and have lots of fun reading them in silly voices. I am forever indebted to Williams for this delightful book! This is the book to introduce the tales to young children and then, in a few years, give them the Cohen version.

**Warning - although this is technically a children's version these are still *very* bawdy tales with lots of rude humor - farts, naked rumps, and much more! This is absolutely not a problem for us, but it's worth mentioning for parents looking for 'clean' kid's books.