The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making - Ana Juan, Catherynne M. Valente
I was originally attracted to this book by the title and the cover didn't hurt either. Still, I'm not sure when I would have ever gotten around to reading this. It certainly looked fun, but perhaps not very special or original. But then I started reading the rave reviews and, more importantly, finally made the connection that Valente was the author of one of my very favorite stories from Troll's Eye View. And so, I decided not to put it off any longer and what a bizarre, exhilarating, and satisfying ride it turned out to be!

Some may have a hard time accepting this as a children's book, but I think any reader (young or old) who has made a connection with any of the great classics of children's fantasy could appreciate this. There are no end of references - The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, The Phantom Tollbooth with a pinch of Ancient Mythology and a dash of Shakespeare....and so much more.

But, rest assured that this isn't just another classic story redone. Valente has crafted something something entirely original here and has done it with truly impeccable style. Extremely highly recommended!