Changes for Kit: A Winter Story - Valerie Tripp, Susan McAliley, Walter Rane
The final book in the Kit series felt shorter and even more simple than the previous five. That's not really a criticism as much as it is an observation. Quite frankly, I feel pretty well done with Kit's story so the brevity of this one was a welcome bonus.

The general set up here is that it's winter in Cincinnati and Kit notices that many children don't have adequate clothing or footwear they need to survive the harsh weather. Kit wants to help, but her conservative and cantankerous uncle Hendrick tries to squelch her hopes. He disapproves of giving assistance to the poor, believing it only worsens the problem. While she transcribes Hendrick's critical letters to the editor, Kit gets an idea. What if she wrote her own letter to the editor and told another side of the story? The outcome may not be super realistic, but I think that's okay. I'd rather children believe they can make a difference than the alternative.

And thus ends Kit's journey (although I understand now there is a Kit mystery series). The Depression isn't over, but she has adapted to her reduced circumstances and learned to appreciate the important things in life - friends, family, etc. In the end, this series is not great historical fiction, but it's a fine (very simplified) introduction. While not my first choice as a nighttime read aloud, my daughter really loves the series and I like to respect her preferences (to a point). She wants to continue on with another girl - World War II era Molly, which seems like a good and natural progression from the Depression era.