Hinky-Pink: An Old Tale - Retold by Megan McDonald,  Brian Floca (Illustrator)
The Hinky-Pink is an original fairy tale set in Italy (Firenze) to be exact. Anabel (not Anabella the book is quick to remind us) is a phenomenal seamstress who dreams of making exquisite gowns for royalty. And of course, eventually she gets her chance when she is called for by Princess Isabella Caramella Gorgonzola. In a sort of Rumpelstiltskin set up Anabel is set up alone in a room and told she has a week to create the most perfect dress for the upcoming ball. Already concerned about the time constraints Anabel becomes increasingly alarmed when she discovers that some-ONE or some-THING won't let her sleep at night - pulling off her covers and throwing her out of bed night after night without fail! How can she sew the most marvelous dress with out a wink of sleep?

All in all this is a charmingly told tale with pleasant enough illustrations. I really like that McDonald both follows and bucks the traditional fairy tale mold. It's quirky and unpredictable making for an enjoyable read aloud. But overall I can't say I was super wowed by the total package. I still recommend for any and all fairy tale obsessed kids!